I am good at reading and remembering but not the names and dates while preparing for exams espically for the preparation of History for IAS Exams. If you give me a whole book, I can read and write it back in twice its volume ,but when it comes to names, dates and figures, I just am going now here.
While attempting GS, in the starting attempts, we try to load ourselves with much facts and figures so that all mixup ending in disaster!!!
Tips to be Concentrated
- What ever you forgot, is only because you just took your 100% concentration from that word/phrase/sentence.
- Forgetting becomes much when we can realize what we are reading, is reading inducing some sort of understanding or just we go on getting words and their meanings
- Forgetting specially facts and figures means, we not read analytically. Specially coming to History part, which should be read chronologically, so that the linkage and understanding can be done properly.
- Forgetting facts really, means you not hit the fact so that much themes comes out of it. Suppose I say, ‘Hitler is responsible for India getting freedom’ seems something unusual… but if you go through it..you understand it completely and never forget it. Because of Hitler we had 2nd world war. because of war, Brittan’s power weakened and it couldnt overstretch its resources in far flung areas to maintain its colonies. Because of war, England had a change of power and labour party came to power. Because of war we got independence. So in effect, because of Hitler we got independence
- Forgetting facts means we never took them into our mental conversation with ourself, as one friend said, we need to talk to oneself regarding that person or that figure, and feel ourself as explaining that forgettable name, figures to someone. While explaining to others we get much ideas and clues, how to remember it.
- Most imp thing is linking everything. Every subject got its interlinks, moreover we need to remember so much facts that after passing prelims those stuff need to throw away. But we have to read and remember, so we need to remember them, so we need to link them somehow. Create the <a title="Mind Maps" href="http://en.wikipedia look at this site.org/wiki/Mind_map” target=”_blank”>Mind Map for what ever you are Studying. Here is a example tools which would help you and more free tools are available.
- Timeline : is the god for the preparation of History, which helps you to solve your problem regarding remembering facts… Take a big empty sheet, scribble dowm the timeline (Ex: Name, Year of Birth, Successors ) and fill them when you saw/read new facts and figures. Many factories, development programmes are crowded near 1947-50 since Indiajust planning to woke up from the British rule and much infrastructual things started from there.
- Names : Every time I followed linking technique to work on this. Many times you have to make a joke of that name or a Phrase, For Example in Ancient History the place where the Harappan Civilization is done, Code: GPRS (Gujarat, Punjab, Rajasthan and Sind (Now in Pakistan) so that you can remember how you laughed at his akward name (if it difficult to spell/pronounce). Many time only the persons who did remarkable thing were asked in any Prelims questions…every question enters there after lot of discussion..so he must be a great person in that field, only we didnt know him.
Much things are there..it depends on how you work on yourself, with your own technique to remember them.
It is just a idea and my view. Follow your own idea which you can adapt easily.